Moonbeams® 1, 2 and 3
Moonbeams 1 (MB1) is the entry point of the MYC® Method for 7-9 year olds. The older beginner program is designed to support the students’ growing sense of independence. Reading becomes the primary focus for gathering information, while the songs, ensembles and keyboard repertoire incorporate early piano literature, folk songs, technique and harmonization.
- pattern reading
- scale playing with harmonizing chords in 6 keys
- keyboard repertoire with plentiful supplementary pieces for holidays and extra challenges
- rhythm and keyboard ensemble experiences
- harmonization and composition experiences
- transposing within 5 finger patterns
- understanding and utilizing legato and staccato touches
- Study of minimum of eight keys with continued study of scales harmonized with primary chords.
- Practice of accompaniment patterns including broken chords and playing rhythmic patterns.
- Study of three forms of the minor scale: natural, harmonic, and melodic.
- Study of inversions of triads
- Study of cadences. (A cadence is a progression of chords.)
- Study of 6/8 time signature.
- Expanded study of: note names to include ledger lines and articulation with an introduction to accents.
- Introduction to simple analysis.
- Continued practice in: harmonization and transposition, composition and arranging.
- Continued listening for dynamics, meter, articulation, form, and accompaniment styles.
Moonbeams 3 is the final level in Music for Young Children®. When MYC was written, it was with the intent to integrate and prepare our students to take their first piano exam and theory exam at the end of their MB3 year. It is an exciting year for students, parents and teachers as these children have now gained so much knowledge, understanding and appreciation of music and piano playing that they are able to manipulate, pull-from and engage all the learning they have received throughout their journey in their MYC classes, whether it is through theory, composition, and/or the musically shown (and heard) through their playing.