Hi! I'm Elizabeth Shearouse!
Welcome to my MYC webpages! I hope you enjoy my website and come to visit again soon.
- To teach the joy of making music
- To lay a solid foundation for piano playing and music making
- To empower parents to be involved in their child's musical education, and to strengthen family bonds
- To inspire students to grow into happy and self-motivated musicians
- ARCT in Piano Performance and in Piano Pedagogy with the Royal Conservatory
- Grade 8 in Voice with the Royal Conservatory
- Teaching awards, including silver and gold medals for Piano Pedagogy and the CFMTA memorial pedagogy award
- Currently continuing to take piano and voice lessons
- Teaching private piano lessons since 2004 and Music for Young Children since 2006
- Currently teaching over 40 music students
- Private piano and singing lessons also available
- Regular recitals are held at a retirement home, as well as a year-end recital in a church
- Students are given opportunities to participate in the Northern Lights recital program through the Canadian National Conservatory of Music
- Support for parents and students throughout the week via phone and e-mail
- Students have access to games on the Music Learning Community website
Read what students have to say...
"At first some songs can be challenging, but my teacher Elizabeth makes the difficult parts fun."
~ MYC Graduate (age 9, Grade 3 piano)
"My music teacher, Elizabeth Shearouse, is amazing. She has provided me with
some great opportunities."
~ MYC Graduate (age 11, Grade 2 piano)
"...Practising is fun because I get stickers in the back of my book if I do 5 or 6
days. I like transposing songs to different keys than they were written. I like
playing C#+ a lot (or Db+). Compositions are fun to make up and the one I wrote
this year sounds like a train."
~ MYC Student (age 8, Moonbeams 3)
"I like MYC because you get to learn new songs and sing funny songs...I like
Elizabeth because she spends her extra spare time in music class helping me
understand my music homework. I also like Elizabeth because she is a nice
music teacher and helpful too."
~ MYC Student (age 8, Moonbeams 3)
Read what parents have to say...
"Hi Elizabeth, as you know, you are our first ever music teacher, but
you have quickly and effortlessly become the star of our family.
Yesterday afternoon, I had to pretend to be you while Jana played her
instruments. (Jana said ---- "You ‘tend to be Miss Lizbeth") She told
anyone that would listen how to properly hold the sticks and
actually would like set of bells for Christmas. The boys can't stop
talking about you . . . We aren’t going to have a keyboard until we move
at the end of the month, so Matthew has made plans to visit our
musically-motivated friends so he can have his practice time. It is so
neat to watch my children really enjoy something -- since they are
homeschooled, receiving instruction from someone other than me is
fabulous. I would highly recommend you to any interested families if
they are looking for early music instruction for their children.
"Thank you for blessing my children."
~ Tricia Peachey, September 2006
"My daughter Bailee has been in MYC since 2007, at the age of 4. Having no experience with any form [of music] myself, I was a bit intimidated with the idea of piano lessons.
"I quickly realized that MYC was going to be a right fit. The way in which piano is tough, through the use of animals, puppetry, movement, and visuals, made learning not only fun, but easy and natural. The instructor (Elizabeth) made a point of pushing them to their full potential and ability. She provided extra time to prepare for music festivals and recitals.
"Bailee also looks up to Elizabeth as a role model, not only for her music ability, but as a volunteer who makes it a commitment to share music with seniors living in nursing homes. Beyond MYC our future in music will continue with Elizabeth."
~ Kim, Moonbeams 3 Parent, May 2011
"She is absolutely loving the class. Thanks for what you do."
~ Carla Janes, Sunrise Parent, November 2010